March 6, 2016

The Crown

Exactly one week ago, I heard my name called as the new Mrs. Nevada-America, and my life changed forever. It came with a mix of emotions - elation, shock, joy and more - but it came from a place of true humility. I had no idea if my name would be called at all that night, whether it be for Top 10 and Top 5 - let alone be announced as the winner. I truly feel blessed, and I wholeheartedly believe God led the way that night - especially because of the challenging week I had prior.  A little background...




Preparing for a pageant can be a bit stressful on its own. Your nerves and flutters of excitement start and certain scenarios start to run through your head. Three days before pageant weekend, I woke up with a couple of spots on my leg. Hmmmm.....strange, I thought. By the next morning, it was a case of full blown hives all over my body. Not exactly the best situation right before swimsuit competition. I got myself to the doctor, pronto. It turns out I had an allergic reaction to something. GREAT TIMING. I still don't know what the reaction was from. But still, I "kept calm and carried on." 

So, the hives finally went away (attractive, I know.), and it was time for pageant weekend. I woke up the morning of judges interview feeling pumped and ready to go. The BIG weekend was finally here and I was ready to shine. But first, a fender bender. ON THE WAY to my interview. My first ever! Like, are you kidding me with this timing?! Still, I carried on - I am more than hives and a smashed bumper! Thanks to my heroic husband who met me within 5 minutes of the crash to switch cars with me, I made it to my interview without issue and with time to spare! 

Through all of it, I felt a strange sense of calm. Which is not the norm for me, as I tend to be a bit anxious at times. I decided to leave it in God's hands at that point. I knew that I was coming into that weekend as the best version of myself, and whatever happens, happens. However, I did tell my mom after all of this that I must be due for some good karma coming my way. And I guess I was right!

The evening of the pageant went by like a blur. I wasn't nervous for it (which is again, out of character for me), and was just excited to be able to be on stage again. The stage, the lights - it's fun. Before I knew it, I was the first to be called to the Top 10 (yay!) and then the last to be called to Top 5 (phew!). When the final question came, I spoke from the heart and hoped it was enough. I wasn't able to hear the other finalists' answers, so I had no idea what I was up against. When it came time for the awards and crowning, I was so honored to be named Mrs. Photogenic!! Then it came time for the crowning. 4th runner up, 3rd runner up, 2nd runner up - then down to two. At this point, my heart was beating so far out of my chest that you probably could have seen it in the back row. And then, the first runner up was called and it wasn't my name - which means, I did it!!! I will never ever forget being crowned and looking into the audience to see my family and friends so excited for me. I am so blessed.



So, here's my point - extraordinary things come from (sometimes) unusual or extraordinary circumstances. But the power of positive thinking and letting your true self shine will enable you to move forward - beauty pageant, or otherwise.

I am still on cloud nine from last Sunday. It truly feels like a dream come true. I will never take one moment of it for granted, and will work wholeheartedly to make those around me proud. 



Thank you to everyone for your support - I am so truly humbled by every message, comment, call and text. 

XOXO,
Your Mrs. Nevada-America 2016
Lauren







No comments

Post a Comment


UP